Goddess Power

About two weeks ago, on the eve and day of the Superbowl, I amazed myself, my manager, and the regional manager with two amazing days of job performance that resulted in my first sale … and making as much per hour as a doctor (or as a successful architect for that matter).

In the past two weeks, we have all pulled together to find out what factors caused that success. Of course, being as the company I’m working with is construction-minded (and not a Wiccan organization) the superbowl looms large in our minds. However; this happens only once a year, so there must have been something else. Something magical that happened.

Looking at my calendar, I am reminded that the eve and day of the superbowl were heading toward a full moon. Good … the waxing and full moon happen over a two-week period of time every month. So, if this is it, we should be able to share in this profitability at least half the time.

Looking again, I noticed something else. The eve and day of the Superbowl was also the eve and day of Imbolc … a Wiccan holiday that celebrates an ancient Irish Goddess of business, artistic and healing energies. (Similar Goddesses in other polytheistic pantheons might include Minerva of ancient Rome and Sarasvati of contemporary Hinduism).

In the introduction to his book, “Creating Affluence, The A to Z Steps to a Richer Life“, Dr. Deepak Chopra (a successful professional who was raised within a polytheistic, Hindu upbringing as a child) states
… the secret to creating affluence … ‘There are two Goddesses that reside in the heart of every human being. Everybody is deeply in love with these supreme beings. But there is a certain secret that you need to know, and I will tell you what it is.’

‘Although you love both Goddesses, you must pay more attention to one of them. She is the Goddess of Knowledge, and her name is Sarasvati. Pursue her, love her, and her give your attention.'

So, my question now is how to honor this Goddess from the ancient Irish pantheon, whose name is Brigid, year-round, for continued business success? Remembering back to that day, my standard Imbolc ceremony is very simple. I light three plain teacandles and place them in three separate green-colored candle holders.

Now I’m wondering if I should find more ways and more times during the year to honor the Goddess Brigid? Should I light those candles more frequently? Or should I search out items in my home that already evoke that Goddess, and use or wear them regularly when I’m scheduled to work?

A traditional blessing, modified slightly for this blog post:

Irish Blessing

Bless the four corners of this house and be the lintel blessed,
and bless the hearth and bless the board, and bless each place of rest.
And bless the door that opens wide to stranger as to kin,
and bless each crystal windowpane that lets the starlight in.
And bless the roof-tree overhead, and every study wall –
woman’s peace, Goddess Brigid’s peace, the peace of love to all.


Here are some links about the Goddess Brigid:

Pagan Roots
The Order of Bards, Druids and Ovates
Goddess Gift